Friday, July 26, 2013

Sacrifice


 sac·ri·fice [sak-ruh-fahys]


1. the offering of animal, plant, or human life or of some material possession to a deity, as in propitiation or homage.
2. the person, animal, or thing so offered.
3. the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.
4. the thing so surrendered or devoted. 

This past week I had the privilege of having my eyes opened a little wider, my sense of pride for my country expand a little larger, and my view of the word sacrifice deepened a lot. 

Being a military wife I understand the word sacrifice to an extent. My husband's job comes first, and then I do. So at times I realize what that word means, but this week that level of understanding was greatly broadened as I got to visit Arlington Cemetery for my husband's grandfather's funeral. He completed 30+ years of military service retiring as a Colonel, making him able to be buried at such an extraordinary piece of history.  

Now like most people I had seen pictures of Arlington. It's a lot of gravestones. Over 450,000 are buried there and that number didn't really sink in until we were following the horse-drawn carriage of my grandfather-in-law to his burial site. 
 
 As I rode past the endless rows of gravestones tears came to my eyes and I had no words I could express at the time for what I was feeling. It was a mixture of sadness, pride, and respect.

It's one thing to see something in pictures and hear about it and it's a completely different thing to experience it. I feel so extremely privileged to have seen an Arlington burial. The Honor Guard at Fort Myer did a spotless job in making this important and emotional occasion the very best possible. 

The ceremony was as beautiful as it was sad. I cried as they folded up the American Flag over the coffin and handed it with many condolences to my grandmother-in-law. 

I'm sad I never got to meet my grandfather-in-law before he passed. But I will be eternally grateful to him because without him I would not have my husband and our country would have missed out on a soul who truly understood the meaning of sacrifice.

In the letter he had prepared for his passing he made mention of his first great grandchild. I'm so honored to have brought a piece of joy to his life in some way. I can't wait until Rosalie is old enough that I can tell her about my experiences at Arlington and use it as a means to teach her what sacrifice is and how important it is not only in our country, but in our family as well. This trip will be forever embedded on my heart and memory.

God bless America and the families who daily sacrifice for this country. 

Thanks for reading. 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute, Candice. I'm glad you were able to be there. It's an overwhelming sight, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tribute Candice. Miss ya girl.

    ReplyDelete