Saturday, July 6, 2013

Inadequate



in·ad·e·quate 
 
[in-ad-i-kwit] adjective
1. not adequate or sufficient; inept or unsuitable.
2. Psychiatry. ineffectual in response to emotional, social, intellectual, and physical demands in the absence of any obvious mental or physical deficiency.

In your mind, you're just never going to be good enough. This thought process can apply to everything we do in life. Now that doesn't mean we think we are inadequate enough to go to the store and grocery shop but we might think we're too inadequate to take those ingredients we bought and try to make a new recipe. 

We just feel inadequate at our jobs. You can always do better, sometimes John or Sue is the one who can always show you up and take all the glory. If they are and will always be better than you, why even try anymore?

Ann is the perfect mom. While you're trying not to pull your hair out and wondering how your kid got on top of the refrigerator, Ann's child sits perfectly quiet playing with a toy. Your child never listens to you and Ann's child does whatever they are told. You just want to give up and you envy Ann for her control over her kid. She's perfect and you think you never will be because you certainly aren't right now.

Joe and Jane have the perfect marriage while yours is in a rocky place. It seems like you're constantly bickering about every little thing and they are nonstop raving about how great everything is going for them. You just want to shut off and hope everything fixes itself.

You are inadequate.




“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.” 

“Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”
But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
  Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth.
  
This passage is so intimate I'm so happy Jeremiah shared it with us. Let's break it down.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

So here we see God knows us. Everything about us. He intimately formed us in our mother's womb. Every minor detail He created and knows.
  
before you were born I set you apart;

Even in the womb He had an amazing plan for our life. We are set apart.

  I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

Look at the plans God had for Jeremiah before He was even born! Can you imagine God telling you, you were born for things greater than you could ever imagine? Well He is.

 “Alas, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am too young.”

We often answer God with an excuse. Alas is the same as but, so Jeremiah is saying "but, God...I can't." He feels inadequate to live up to the amazing plan God had designated for his life.

 But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am too young.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.
  
God is not a fan of a pity party. He loves us, His creation from before the womb, more than we'll ever be able to comprehend. How do you think He felt as Jeremiah told Him he couldn't do it? Because he felt he was too inadequate to accomplish the calling God had placed on his life? I think God's heart breaks when we give up, when we say "I am inadequate." If you're a parent, or a sibling, or a friend, and your child/sibling/friend comes to you and says 'I just can't do it." You don't say "Well of course you couldn't! I knew that from the very beginning!" You encourage them! Of course they can do it, how silly of them to think otherwise. Doesn't it break your heart when someone you love downplays how strong they really are and they are defeating themselves?

Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.

What a beautiful, comforting Word from the Lord! Don't you just want to yell "Amen!!!" You are probably right, you are inadequate by yourself. God knows this and He's there to say I will rescue you. Amazing.   

 Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “I have put my words in your mouth.

Don't be afraid of the challenges of cooking new recipes, or your "perfect" coworkers at your job, or those friends who are the "perfect" moms, or those neighbors with the "perfect" marriage. God is always, always, ALWAYS on your side. In our weakness He makes us strong. In our inadequacy He makes us adequate. He reaches out His hand to us and wherever we are struggling He is there to lift us up.  

I fully believe I am living out the plan God has for me. My main reason for posting this was because I was feeling inadequate. God is forming a baby girl inside of me and I feel inadequate. It's scary knowing in a few short months I will be a mother and I don't know if I can handle it...and I can't. Thankfully I'm not alone because God is reaching His hand out to me saying I will put the words in your mouth, the strength in your body, and my spirit to restore and renew that feeling of adequacy. 

You are inadequate. Aren't you glad God makes up for it? Smile, He's there with a helping hand, don't forget to take it. 

In God, you are adequate. 

Thanks for reading! 

God bless America and our troops!   

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say, I really liked this one the most. Maybe because it was just Raw. Most people don't say they feel like they won't be able to handle it. I wouldn't even think it to myself because I would be doing it alone and I didn't even want to have the thoughts in my head. I can barely handle my kid because sometimes he Can be too much! You saw how he acted when I got to Caroline's. Everyone has their moments of not being able to handle it, but that's why you have friends around you that can help and Will reassure you that you will be a Great mother! I see how you are with ours and you are fantastic! She will love you, even if she wants to drive you Crazy (which she will!). As long as you try your best, you won't be a bad mother <3. I have had MANY moments where I think I am a terrible mother because I get so angry, but I have been reassured that I at least have a conscience, I know if I am doing something wrong, and I have remorse if I raise my voice a little or smack his little hand here and there because he went too far.
    We love you, Candice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you Ele! I almost didn't post this one BECAUSE it is so different than everything else I've posted. Maybe it was because I'm showing vulnerability and that's a scary thing! Though even right now this child is putting up a fight (I think she's trying to throw my back out, lol) So at times I get a little apprehensive but I love that passage in Jeremiah and just have to remember not only is God with me, but so are my friends and family. Love you Ele, I'll totally watch Ryan for a few hours if you need a break or a nap or anything. <3

    ReplyDelete